Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Adriano
Ford releases the first official pictures and info about their new Tourneo Custom, a vehicle largely based on the concept van we had seen around a while ago. The new MPV from the Blue Oval will hit the market in both 8- and 9- passenger configurations (that were introduced at the recent 2012 Geneva Motor Show) as well as a pure commercial vehicle (which will be introduced at the upcoming Birmingham Commercial Vehicle Show, this coming April).
This front-wheel drive MPV will come with just one engine option: a 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine available in power steps of 100, 125 and 155 hp. All these configurations use a 6-speed manual gearbox and boast an average fuel consumption of 6.9 l/100 km.
Standard equipment include 18″ alloy wheels the Econetic system (with Start-Stop and KERS) , SYNC voice-activated, in-car connectivity system, rear-view camera, Lane Keeping Alert and Driver Alert. To find out more about the new Ford Tourneo Custom MPV, check out the official press release after the jump.
All-New Ford Tourneo Custom Goes on Sale This Year; Stylish People Carrier to Attract Personal Use Customer
• Ford announces new Tourneo Custom will go on sale this year in Europe and other global markets. The Tourneo Custom is the first step in Ford’s commitment to refresh its entire commercial vehicle lineup by 2014
• The stylish production vehicle will debut at the Birmingham (England) Commercial Vehicle Show in April, delivering on the stunning concept unveiled in Geneva
• Tourneo Custom offers choice of eight or nine seats and short or long wheelbases
• With car-like dynamics, a driver-focused cockpit and all-new interior design, the vehicle is aimed at a new generation of personal use, lifestyle and executive shuttle customers
COLOGNE, Germany, March 19, 2012 – Ford Motor Company today announced the dynamic new Tourneo Custom will go on sale in Europe as well as other global markets later this year.
The stylish people-mover that won admirers as a concept at the Geneva Motor Show marks the first step in Ford’s commitment to refresh its entire commercial vehicle line-up by 2014. The production version of the Tourneo Custom will be unveiled at the 2012 Birmingham Commercial Vehicle Show in April.
“The bold new Tourneo Custom signals the start of a revolution in Ford’s commercial vehicle range,” said Stephen Odell, chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe. “It’s a fantastic-looking people mover – inside and out – and offers outstanding day-to-day, real world practicality as well as being great to drive.”
New levels of style and function
With its dramatic new appearance, car-like interior design and driving dynamics, smart technologies and outstanding fuel economy, the Ford Tourneo Custom brings new levels of style and function to the people-mover class.
The Tourneo Custom has an advanced, streamlined profile based on the same “Kinetic” design approach popular on Ford passenger cars. This includes a sportier stance, bold rising shoulder line, flush glazing, distinctive trapezoidal grille and prominent wheel lips.
Available in eight or nine seat configurations, Tourneo Custom offers a choice of short wheelbase (4.97 metres) and long wheelbase (5.34 metres) versions, both of which provide generous space for people and luggage.
The additional length of the long wheelbase version translates into generous extra luggage space behind the third seat row. At a height of less than two metres, the Tourneo Custom also comfortably complies with most car park height limits.
Versatile car-like interior
The Tourneo Custom also brings car-like style and sophistication to the people-mover segment with an all-new interior constructed with high quality materials. The stylish, sculpted driver-focussed instrument panel features technologies closely-related to those found in the Ford car range. The cockpit is further enhanced by a highly adjustable driving position with the steering column adjustable for reach and rake.
The rear seats are a completely new design that can be easily folded into multiple configurations and removed in segments or completely. Rear passengers enjoy a spacious environment and comfortable, fully-trimmed cabin.
Smart vehicle technologies
The high level of technology offered by Tourneo Custom includes the following features:
• ECOnetic Technologies – Ford’s advanced low-CO2 features including standard Auto-Start-Stop and Smart Regenerative Charging on all Stage V emission vehicles
• SYNC voice-activated, in-car connectivity system – enables mobile phones and music players to be connected to the vehicle, and operated by voice control
• Emergency Assistance – enabled by SYNC, this award-winning new feature is designed to assist occupants to contact the Emergency Services in the event of an accident, providing vehicle location information
• Advanced restraint system – includes driver, passenger, side and curtain airbags
• Rear-view camera – integrated into the rear view mirror
• Lane Keeping Alert and Driver Alert – latest driver assistance features alert the driver if the system detects the vehicle is inadvertently drifting out of the lane, or the driver is becoming tired behind the wheel
Exceptional fuel economy
The powertrain is an improved version of Ford’s 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine with three power ratings: 100 PS, 125 PS and 155 PS. Featuring a six-speed manual transmission and standard Auto-Start-Stop, Tourneo Custom delivers combined fuel consumption of 6.9 l/100 km and 182 g/km CO2 emissions.
The Tourneo Custom is based on a new Ford global platform, engineered to deliver agile and responsive handling for car-like dynamics, enhanced ride comfort and reduced noise-levels; it offers outstanding functionality, durability and low cost of ownership, including an economical two-year /50,000 km 30,000 mile service interval.
“We have combined car-like levels of in-cab comfort and specification with enhanced practicality and reduced running costs,” said Barry Gale, chief engineer, Ford of Europe. “This stylish vehicle with genuine ability will enhance Ford’s reputation for long-term durability and value.”
New generation of Ford commercial vehicles
The Tourneo Custom and other all-new Ford Commercial Vehicles will be revealed in 2012, starting at the Birmingham CV Show in April.
Ford will also be presenting larger and higher payload Transits later in 2012. These models will be extensively sold on a global basis, including North America, and will also feature rear-wheel-drive.
Production of the new Tourneo Custom will start from mid-2012 at Ford’s plant in Kocaeli, Turkey, with market availability later in the year.